POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Resuming renders in 3.7 RC6 is confusing at best, broken at worst : Re: Resuming renders in 3.7 RC6 is confusing at best, broken at worst Server Time
2 May 2024 00:40:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Resuming renders in 3.7 RC6 is confusing at best, broken at worst
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 Aug 2012 03:43:09
Message: <5035df0d$1@news.povray.org>
On 22-8-2012 20:52, MichaelJF wrote:
> If you possess a machine with more than one thread another idea is to limit the
> threads POV uses. For example, if you need your machine for some more simple
> programs like MS Word or Excel and you have a Core i7 with 8 threads you can
> type +WT6 in the command line field I mentioned above and have POV running and
> may be enough resources for other tasks (the allocated memory is still an isuue
> but may be it works. For axample: My picture "The tale of the magpie and the
> diamond cuckoo" which I posted some days ago to the p.b.i. (look for "texturing
> the orlov diamond..."), took with the raised max_trace_level 14 days to render,
> but with +WT6 I was able to use the machine for other purposes without any
> inconvience).

Yes, I agree, and I use this also with my i7 machine. In addition, be
aware of the following issue when rendering with radiosity on in a
multi-core machine: the different threads are not released in order but
when they finish their task. This results in isolated blocks being
rendered within finished fields on the image. When stopping a render to
start it again later, be sure to verify first that all finished rendered
threads are consecutive, i.e. that there are *no* isolated unfinished
threads in the image. When starting up render again (+C) rendering is
started from the /last/ finished block; all isolated unfinished blocks
are ignored and are shown as such in the image.

I hope I have made myself clear...

Thomas