POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Resuming renders in 3.7 RC6 is confusing at best, broken at worst : Re: Resuming renders in 3.7 RC6 is confusing at best, broken at worst Server Time
1 May 2024 19:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Resuming renders in 3.7 RC6 is confusing at best, broken at worst
From: Alain
Date: 21 Aug 2012 17:51:45
Message: <503402f1$1@news.povray.org>

> Hey guys!
>
> I've been trying to figure out exactly how the resume (or continue, +C) feature
> works in 3.7 RC6.  Whenever I try to resume, it either sits there with no output
> (after === [Rendering...] ===) or it sits there with the output "Rendered 1024
> of 14700000 pixels" (I'm rendering a 1400 x 1050 image).  Yes, I paused at a
> stage where every step takes a long time, but I'm confused by the output.  Is it
> actually resuming?  It says "Continued trace......On", so I would assume so.
> But then, why doesn't it resume the "Rendered" counter where it left off?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> - Chaanakya

It does effectively resume the render where it was interupted.
The pixel count don't take into acount the part of the image that was
done, only the part to be done. If the bit of the image is one that take
a LOT of time, it will look as if it's gone into limbo, but it's still
working and will eventualy show some progress.

When resuming, you need to access the *.povstate file, that may be very
large and take some time to process, and re-parse the source file. If
the parse was long, it will take that same time every time you resume.
If the scene use radiosity, the pre trace step will be repeated, but
only for the part not yet rendered.
I've not yet resumed a photons scene.