POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : color_map : Re: color_map Server Time
27 Jun 2024 13:49:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: color_map
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 17 Aug 2012 04:10:29
Message: <502dfc75$1@news.povray.org>
Le 17/08/2012 05:26, ltong a écrit :
> This is certainly simple for advanced users, but I'm having problem to figure it
> out. The documentation says value_n in color_map is calculated using x,y,z
> location of a point where color_n will be applied. So, how is value_n calculated
> exactly? How does one know which position value_n represents in an object? I
> would guess translation and rotation don't affect. Many thanks in advance!

Hello,

when referencing documentation which might need clarification, please
provide at least an exact reference to it, or cite it.

For instance,
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Color_Map
states that:

=== begin quote ===

Each of the various pattern types available is in fact a mathematical
function that takes any x, y, z location and turns it into a number
between 0.0 and 1.0 inclusive. That number is used to specify what mix
of colors to use from the color map.

=== end quote ===

So, the value_n used for the color_map is computed by the pattern. The
pattern you choose to associate for the pigment that uses the color_map

Regarding influence of rotation/translation/scale/transform, please check:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Tutorial_Section_2.2#Transforming_Textures_and_Objects

Have a nice day.