POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : OMG, super fast compiling : Re: OMG, super fast compiling Server Time
29 Apr 2024 01:49:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OMG, super fast compiling
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 16 Aug 2012 02:16:23
Message: <502c9037@news.povray.org>
Le 16/08/2012 07:57, jhu a écrit :
> make -j x
>
> where "x" is the number of total threads the processor supports. Am I the only
> who didn't know about this???

How would I know ? But yes for me.

In fact x > total threads in processor is also a good x: due to the
large I/O on spinning disk a compilation requires, a perfect match is
full of wait. (with N the number of threads supported by the
processor(s), N <= x <= 2*N )

When using SSD, that might be a different story.

--
Real software engineers work from 9 to 5, because that is
the way the job is described in the formal spec.  Working