POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Half a cylinder (with open ends) : Re: Half a cylinder (with open ends) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:14:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Half a cylinder (with open ends)
From: Alain
Date: 3 Aug 2012 19:10:32
Message: <501c5a68$1@news.povray.org>

> "Chaanakya" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> Hey guys!
>>
>> I was trying to create half of a hollow cylinder (both ends open).  I tried
>> using CSG with an intersection, and that gave me a half a hollow cylinder, but
>> I'd like to not have a plane on the end.  That is, I'd like essentially a curved
>> plane (the side of the cylinder without the endcaps).  Is there some
>> transformation I could use on, for example, a box to achieve this?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> - Chaanakya
>
> The object cylinder also comes with the (optional) attribute "open".
> When "open" is added, the cylinder will have the caps removed.
> Hence this way, no csg needs to be used, and your code will be a tiny bit
> simplified.
>
> Peter.

"open" only remove the end caps. The resulting object have NO thickness
at all.
If you later use that in some compound object, it can lead to unexpected
results. It also realy don't play well if your object is transparent,
especialy if it have an ior, use fading colour, contains any media or
sits in an environment containing any media or fog.

When you use CSG difference, you can have an open cylinder whose sides
have an actual thickness.

Alain