POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Half a cylinder (with open ends) : Re: Half a cylinder (with open ends) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:24:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Half a cylinder (with open ends)
From: Warp
Date: 26 Jul 2012 14:01:03
Message: <501185df@news.povray.org>
Chaanakya <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> > Chaanakya <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > > I was trying to create half of a hollow cylinder (both ends open).  I tried
> > > using CSG with an intersection, and that gave me a half a hollow cylinder, but
> > > I'd like to not have a plane on the end.  That is, I'd like essentially a curved
> > > plane (the side of the cylinder without the endcaps).  Is there some
> > > transformation I could use on, for example, a box to achieve this?
> >
> > Just make a difference of the cylinder and another cylinder with a slightly
> > smaller radius and which is a bit longer ther the first cylinder.

> Thanks!  That lets me control the thickness of the resulting object.  How would
> I cut it in half?

Ah, I didn't notice that you also wanted to cut it in half. I only paid
attention to your problem of getting the end caps on the cylinder, most
probably because your differenced cylinder was not long enough.

You can cut the hollow cylinder in half by differencing (or intersecting) it
with an appropriately placed and sized box. You just have to figure out the
coordinates (this shouldn't be difficult if your cylinder is on a main axis;
you can translate and rotate it later to its final position).