POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Weird image : Re: Weird image Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:16:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weird image
From: Alain
Date: 24 Jul 2012 21:30:50
Message: <500f4c4a$1@news.povray.org>

>> Am 24.07.2012 22:02, schrieb Chaanakya:
>>
>>> My main issue is the transparency of the solid box when the outer box has an IOR
>>> of 1.5 - the solid box should not be even slightly transparent!  Is there
>>> something I'm doing wrong?  Is this a bug?
>>
>> The inner box isn't transparent - it just looks like that because the
>> outer box reflects the pattern of the ground.
>>
>> Rotate the ground plane by y*15 (for instance) to see what I mean.
>
> Okay.  That makes sense.  But shouldn't the image change if I give it an IOR of
> -1.5 (instead of 1.5)?  There's no change in the image.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> - Chaanakya

An ior of -1.5! I've tested with negative ior and it gives me a perfect
mirror. You are beter to use finish{reflection 1}
This makes sence since the ior is the ratio between the speed of light
in vacuum and it's speed inside the material.
Inside_Light_Speed = c/ior.
A negative ratio means that the direction of the light is reversed.
With an ior of zero, the result is undefined: Divide by zero.

In your sample, you use reflection{1.0 fresnel} (a prefect mirror! )
whitch is equivalent to reflection 1. Note the single reflection value.
As you also have conserve_energy, the 100% reflection means that you
have 0% transmition. In this case, fresnel have no effect, and the ior
is useless.

To get a correct result, you should use:
finish{reflection{0, 1 fresnel}conserve_energy}
interior{ior Your_ior}

Alain