POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Strange halo on reflections : Re: Strange halo on reflections Server Time
28 Sep 2024 07:48:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange halo on reflections
From: Alain
Date: 13 Jul 2012 11:54:36
Message: <500044bc@news.povray.org>

> Thanks for looking in to this clipka,
>
> can you explain a little more about how i could use media as a workaround?
>
> also, is the bug regarding TIR easy to explain? I will be relying on TIR in my
> scenes which will have different angles than those in the code I included in my
> earlier message. If it might go wrong its useful to know before so I can keep an
> eye out for problems
>
> stu

>> Examining your problem, I did indeed find a bug in the handling of the
>> interior fade feature (wrong interior being applied under certain
>> circumstances), which I suspect to be relevant in your case. (I also
>> found a flaw regarding total internal reflections, but so far I did not
>> manage to come up with a situation where it would manifest as a bug, so
>> that one can probably be ruled out.)
>>
>> The interior fade bug is also present in POV-Ray 3.6.2, so I don't think
>> it will be fixed in POV-Ray 3.7.0 release proper.
>>
>> One possible workaround might be to use media instead.

You add "hollow" to the object. This enable the object to contain a media.
Next, in the interior block, you add
media{absorbtion Colour}

If you want to let the red pass but absorb the green and blue, you need
{absorbtion <0,1,1>}

If you also use fade_dolor Colour, use <1,1,1>-Colour for the media.

Alain