POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Perl script for batch renders - render.zip : Re: Perl script for batch renders - render.zip Server Time
29 Jun 2024 02:08:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Perl script for batch renders - render.zip
From: Peter Popov
Date: 4 Feb 2000 08:02:46
Message: <4saaODno75IozarYxDVzdGkyCRVw@4ax.com>
On Thu, 3 Feb 2000 18:07:56 -0500, "cadman"
<NOS### [at] graffitinet> wrote:

>Why not just use the queue?

With the script in its current form (which I will upload a newer
version tonight unless I get some bug reports/idea suggestions to work
on (hint hint :) ) one can do the following:

1. Render a single file or batch render all files in a directory tree
2. Convert the output image(s) to JPEG or GIF
3. Create (a) thumbnail(s) in the corresponding format
4. Tune the JPEG/GIF compression/color depth for the image/thumbnail
5. Replicate the directory structure of the input directory, eg:

Input directory is /usr/local/lib/megapov/demos/
Output directory is /home/peter/scriptus/

The script will create:

/home/peter/scriptus/thumbnails/iso
/home/peter/scriptus/images/uv
/home/peter/scriptus/streams/uv/tweaked_by_me

etc. and will place the corresponding files there.

6. Auto-continue render if raw output file found
7. Only render files if corresponding JPEG or GIF not found
8. Delete the raw output file after rendering

and more.

I am currently working on a sort of a database for the renders. The
other thing I am working on is a CGI script which will automatically
generate a web page with previews, individual stats, render
histograms, global stats etc. The ultimate goal is to have a system
which you can give a motherload of work, go on vacation an monitor its
progress online. Well, maybe not :) but it sure helps when you have a
blind Linux box. The bash scripts which my brother and I wrote did a
good job in rendering the MegaPOV sample scenes, but they can't do
much more than that.

Enough blabber, back to coding :)

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet