POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Quick way to darken an object? : Re: Quick way to darken an object? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quick way to darken an object?
From: Mike Williams
Date: 23 Dec 2008 13:11:40
Message: <4pxocwIQnSUJFw6V@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it alphaQuad who wrote:
>"SharkD" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> Is there a quick way of darkening an object after it has already been
>>defined?
>> I'm using an include file created by someone else, but the object is
>>too light
>> and I don't want to edit the other person's include file. Thanks!
>>
>> -Mike
>
>Cant' you just object { already-finished-obj finish { new-finish } }
>
>I mean it *will* just overwrite, reset, etc?

No. Any components that already have any part of a texture will retain
their individual finish.

Consider:

#declare foo = union {
   sphere {0,1 pigment {rgb <1,0,0>}}
   sphere {x,1 }
}
object {foo finish {specular 1}}

Only the unpigmented sphere becomes shiny (I used specular rather than
ambient or diffuse, because an object with no pigment looks much the
same whatever you set its ambient or diffuse values to).

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure