POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Newbie wants a Christmas card! : Re: Newbie wants a Christmas card! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:27:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newbie wants a Christmas card!
From: Stephen McAvoy
Date: 23 Dec 2003 18:27:45
Message: <4pjhuv8lis275ooo6qgiqrvplgpgi6m0vr@4ax.com>
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:37:46 -0500, Laurent Duperval <ldu### [at] videotronca>
wrote:

>- 4 or 5 shiny balls. On the balls, I want to superimpose a picture of
>people's faces. I'd like the pictures to have fading edges so it looks
>like they're blending into the ball or give the appearance of sinking into
>the balls (as if the balls were the frame for the picture).
>
>- I'd like to make it look like the balls are hanging on a Christmas tree
>branch of some sort
>
>I don't know the first thing about doing this and I've got about..
>oooh...30 hours left before Christmas now? :-)
>
>Does anyone know where I can get some hold-my-hand-and-follow-a-recipe-
>to-get-started information on doing this? I figure with a recipe and an
>understanding of what parts of the file represent which part of the scene,
>I can probably figure something out.

For speed I sent a zipped file to povray.binaries.scene-files with a xmas ball
made in Moray and using an image map. No fading edges (I don't know what you
want) but you might be able to do something with the image. The moray file is
part of the Moray tribute scene. I am sure Steve Shelby wont mind (if it was him
who made it)

>"In Europe, do you think Miles Davis is known as Kilometers Davis?  Thank
>you."

Not in the UK and our mile are the same as yours:-}

Regards
        Stephen