POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POVRay thesis : POVRay thesis Server Time
6 May 2024 09:37:35 EDT (-0400)
  POVRay thesis
From: A Large Negro
Date: 4 Nov 2005 02:06:01
Message: <4nvlm1dqoh3hb6i6k0e58s1adgmdgcu4u5@4ax.com>
Hello,

I hope I've posted this in the right group. My name is Scott Holland.
I am currently a computer science graduate student at Appalachian
State University in Boone, NC.  I would like to use POVRay as a part
of my thesis project.

In particular I would like to apply something called GPGPU to POVRay.
GPGPU stands for General Purpose processing on a GPU. More information
on GPGPU can be found here:  http://www.gpgpu.org

In short, I would like to see if it is feasible to use the latest
graphics cards to accellerate POVRay. My goal would be to modify the
SMP code of POVRay to identify each GPU in the system as just another
CPU to split the workload with. In the past, ray tracers have been
successfully written that use the GPU. However, they have been what I
would term bare bones ray tracers. They have not supported things like
refraction or radiosity. My thesis would test if it is possible to do
the same with a full-featured ray tracer.

In order to do this, I would need the source code for version 3.7.
Since 3.6 does not support multiprocessor systems. What would be
required of me to get the 3.7 source code? Thank you.

Scott Holland
sah### [at] csappstateedu