POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question about English grammar : Re: Question about English grammar Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about English grammar
From: Stephen
Date: 30 Jun 2008 13:59:08
Message: <4n7i641gu7rpllpm2aktpi17qmpb8r64rl@4ax.com>
On 30 Jun 2008 12:36:59 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>  I have to admit I have no idea if this contraction is wrong or acceptable.
>It *sounds* wrong to me, but how should I know? The answer to this is also
>something just impossible to find with google:
>
>"The rest of it is not difficult." -> "The rest of it's not difficult."

I would say the contraction is not correct. I think that the sentence
should be written as: "The rest of it, is not difficult." Where the
comma is used as a pause in the spoken sentence. The word "is" refers
to "the rest" not "it". You could say, "The rest is not difficult" and
keep the meaning. But "it is not difficult" means something else.
You could write "The rest of its not difficult." without the comma,
where its is the possessive form. That doesn't make sense either to me
either, in this context.
--

Regards
     Stephen