POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Early Earth: The Late Heavy Bombardment : Re: Early Earth: The Late Heavy Bombardment [final image] Server Time
12 May 2024 23:49:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Early Earth: The Late Heavy Bombardment [final image]
From: Alain
Date: 12 Jul 2012 18:49:11
Message: <4fff5467$1@news.povray.org>

> On 11-7-2012 22:31, Alain wrote:
>> I have some problem with that shock wave: It don't difract light.
>> A shell with an ior of about 1.1 to 1.17 would be more convincing.
>>

> This gets me into problems :-(
>
> For the example I switched off the solid ejecta. I also tuned down the
> fog over the water.
>
> For the shock wave I used an ior of 1.01. Obviously, now its media
> interacts with the other media inside, especially the dust ejecta
> container. Higher ior makes it worse.
>

> Thomas

It looks like a solid, full, shell. Make the shock wave shell as a
difference of 2 spheres.
To bad we can't have variable ior, as in this case, it should go from 1
(in the air in front of the wave), raise in an S shape to maybe around
1.1, then drop slightly under 1 before returning to 1.

You may also try playing giving the area inside the sinside an ior
slightly less than 1, like 0.98 to 0.995...

Alain