POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : povray output as a film/CCD : Re: povray output as a film/CCD Server Time
28 Sep 2024 07:36:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray output as a film/CCD
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 6 Jul 2012 07:32:43
Message: <4ff6ccdb$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/07/12 11:06, clipka wrote:
> Am 05.07.2012 16:28, schrieb spitz:
>> [mesh camera] Are there any examples using this feature? Maybe a
>> lens projecting the image of an illuminated 3D scene on the
>> mesh(film/CCD) showing depth of field.
>
> I have to hand that question over to the people who have more
> experience with the feature; I only know it does exist, with a gut
> feeling that it might be relevant for your task.

   As one of the few who played with it, I'm not sure it could serve
for his purpose, that is, to play with depth of field and focus. At
least in a realistic way... In any case, here are the results of my
tests with this feature:

http://www.ignorancia.org/en/index.php?page=mesh-camera

   As you see at the end, I'm guessing that some sort of "custom focal
blur" could be achieved, but I didn't figure a way to do it.

   I'm not at all an expert on optics (in fact I know next to nothing
about the topic), but I think that just modeling the lenses as meshes
and using these as mesh-cameras will not do the trick... standard focal
blur doesn't work with mesh cameras (and anyhow it's not related to real
world f-stops).

   Again just guessing, but I have the feeling that what he needs is
something like the camera implementation on the Lux renderer.

--
Jaime