POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Early Earth: The Late Heavy Bombardment : Re: Early Earth: The Late Heavy Bombardment Server Time
24 Apr 2024 23:47:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Early Earth: The Late Heavy Bombardment
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 6 Jul 2012 03:58:13
Message: <4ff69a95$1@news.povray.org>
On 5-7-2012 23:09, Samuel Benge wrote:
> Time enough between impacts to, say, allow weathering and erosion to obscure
> previously formed craters?
Indeed yes.

>> Hm. Better but still not entirely convincing. I have been looking at the
>> df3 generation code of Gilles Tran but that is done within a regular box
>> which is not useful here...
>
> Why not? Wouldn't it be able to fit inside a cylinder?
Gille's cloud generation typically generates...clouds ;-) Something else
would be needed here, but I think that I can still tweak my media enough
to get a better result. The container, as you can see, is not a simple one.

> Found a couple daytime fireball photos, since references are always handy:

http://www.utahskies.org/image_library/shallowsky/meteors/fireball_burnett_big-apod20031001.jpg

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Screen-shot-2012-04-22-at-6.37.33-PM-620x367.png

Yes indeed. Also, if you google for "meteor impact" images, you get a
number of artist's impressions of what I am after. Not all are good,
especially in relation to size, but I think the physics shown are about
right.

> The second one went along with a news article about a loud explosion heard
> around my area that is suspected to have been a large meteor entering (and
> subsequently fragmenting) into the earth's atmosphere. (It's a stock NASA photo
> of another fireball.) I actually heard it with my own ears, but at the time
> figured it was just another of the many loud booming sounds that occur
> frequently around here. (People are always shooting their firearms nearby, and
> other explosions can be heard farther uphill that sound like a tunnel being dug
> [probably by those top-secret black helicopter types ;)].)
<grin> Black helicopters he? You bet!

> Oh, and I was wondering, wouldn't the lake's water and the hills' dirt possibly
> be disturbed by the impact? I've seen aerial footage of accidental ground-level
> jet fuel ignition, and there's a discernible shock wave that precedes the
> visible above-ground explosion. Would that not also occur in this case?
Yes, absolutely. In fact, some of the images I mentioned show this shock
wave as a spherical shell around the blast. I remember seeing them too
in some documentaries (Probably Myth Blasters). I may add it in my image.
As far as the lake is concerned, Alain is right in saying it is seconds
away from receiving the blast. I got my time machine out just in time ;-)

Thomas