POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Early Earth: The Late Heavy Bombardment : Re: Early Earth: The Late Heavy Bombardment Server Time
25 Apr 2024 20:24:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Early Earth: The Late Heavy Bombardment
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 4 Jul 2012 03:55:51
Message: <4ff3f707$1@news.povray.org>
On 3-7-2012 22:07, Samuel Benge wrote:
>> Modelling an impact
>
> Hey Thomas, this is quite an interesting series you're working on!

Thanks indeed, Sam. I just want to get away a bit from Gancaloon... ;-)

> I'm wondering, does that ejecta seem a bit too grainy? I know there are bound to
> be larger chunks of earth thrown high from such a large impact, though I'm
> pretty sure the majority of particles would be tiny enough to appear as dust
> from that distance.

Yes, I think you are right. I may end up with a combination of chunks
and dust (mainly dust). That will be a scattering media then; as I have
already the ejecta geometry, I can easily change that to a container and
see what results that gives.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2009/9/25/1253891072286/A-huge-dust-cloud-rolls-o-006.jpg
> http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/04_03/1DustCloudAP_468x312.jpg

I think that we should keep in mind the time scale of the whole event:
about 200 million years! That is a period of time equivalent to the one
since the late Triassic till today! Enough to severely rework the whole
Earth crust but it means also that the LHB, on a human time scale, was
not that "apocalyptic" in terms of impact frequencies. However, there
were of course more large impacts when impacts occurred, but in between
it would be more or less business as usual (with a lot of stress!).
Well, my (educated) guess ;-) and a bit of artistic flavour.

For the image, in fact a snapshot somewhere in the middle of the LHB,
this would mean (old) craters, like the scene shows (I hope) and an
impact once in a while, meteors streaking past, and a Moon with changing
molten areas.

> A gigantic meteoroid illuminating a dust cloud would be a very dramatic sight :)

Interesting... that would indeed be dramatic. I have to think about that
more...

> (It's too bad nobody has developed a 3D fluid simulator that also exports to a
> POV-Ray df3 file. We've got a bunch of POVvers around here who are also talented
> programmers... we need more utilities! :D )

Hear! Hear!

Thomas