POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cloud rendering : Re: Cloud rendering Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:12:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cloud rendering
From: Alain
Date: 5 Jun 2012 12:06:15
Message: <4fce2e77$1@news.povray.org>

> I was curious if anyone had ever thought about renting linux clusters for
> rendering with PovRay.  Google and Amazon both rent servers for cloud computing.
>   Amazon's service is called EC2, and I'm not sure what Google's is called.  I
> remember reading that previous versions of Povray were compatible with PVM.  So
> has anyone thought about doing this, whether it's possible, and how expensive it
> would be?  I think Amazon's service is about 10 cents per server-hour so in that
> case it might only cost a few bucks for a render that would be computationally
> prohibitive on a single machine.

Rendering on various clusters have been done for quite some time, and
not only on Linux clusters. There was even a discontinued BOINC project
dedicated to distributed POV-Ray rendering.

Using version 3.6.x, it was problematic when using radiosity, but now,
with version 3.7, it should work much beter.

Alain