POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : crand in Pov-Ray 3.7 ? : Re: crand in Pov-Ray 3.7 ? Server Time
29 Apr 2024 19:06:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: crand in Pov-Ray 3.7 ?
From: James Holsenback
Date: 28 May 2012 08:32:04
Message: <4fc37044$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/27/2012 10:48 PM, mone wrote:
> Slime<pov### [at] slimelandcom>  wrote:
>>> I tried different scales so far, it's a little difficult, 1e-8 is
>> still too
>>   >  strong, 1e-9 gives strange results with the lighting and with 1e-10
>> the pattern
>>   >  is not visible.
>>
>> The scale of the normal won't affect its strength. Put a number
>> immediately after the "granite" keyword to scale down its strength:
>>
>> normal
>> {
>>       granite 0.1
>>       // ... scale, etc ...
>> }
>
> Yes, thanks you. But it wasn't good with a normal because the normal pattern
> doesn't show up in dark areas.
> So I put it in pigment pattern instead, which did not work either.

maybe then a normal isn't /really/ the answer ... what about an
isosurface sphere with noise?

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Tutorial_Section_3.2#Noise_and_pigment_functions

towards the bottom of the above tutorial section are a couple examples

> But finally I used POV 3.6 again with "crand". (I thought I could get used to
> POV 3.7 but it seems to be too different from older versions for my purposes.)

don't give up ... 3.7 is WAY better in many aspects. I think if you try
to push through the initial learning curve the rewards will become apparent