POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Alpha channel affecting highlighting : Re: Alpha channel affecting highlighting Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:21:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alpha channel affecting highlighting
From: Thomas A  Fine
Date: 18 May 2012 23:04:22
Message: <4fb70db6$1@news.povray.org>
In article <4fb6cf64$1@news.povray.org>,
clipka  <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>Does this affect both the render preview and the generated image file?
>Can you post the complete scene? What output file format are you using?
>What's your exact version of POV-Ray?

Yes, both the preview and the generated file - PNG format.  My exact version
is:

Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.6.1 (/usr/bin/g++-4.0 4.0.1 @
 i386-apple-darwin9)
This is an unofficial version compiled by:
 MacPorts
 The POV-Ray Team(tm) is not responsible for supporting this version.

(and yes, I can see it's unsupported.  I'm not asking for a fix, just
looking to see if I missed some obvious known issue or something that's
solved with a simple setting)

I've reduced the scene to the simplest possible case where it has the
problem.  A sphere and a light source.  I had a more complex isosurface
originally, and I tried it with and without an explicitly defined black
background, and I tried putting in a bunch of off-camera black boxes fully
surrounding my scene to see if the change in how the background is
interpreted was affecting the highlighting.

Anyway, the simple case is included below.  Build it with and without
+UA, and see if the specular highlight looks the same.

     tom

camera
{
  up <0, 1, 0>
  right <1, 0, 0>
  location <30,0,-3>
  look_at <0,0,0>
  angle 10
}

#declare redgloss = texture { pigment { color rgb <1,0,0> } finish { ambient 0.1
specular 0.5 diffuse 0.5 reflection 0.1 } }

light_source { <200,180,-300> color rgb <2,2,2> }

sphere { <0,0,0> 1 texture { redgloss } }