POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Alpha channel affecting highlighting : Alpha channel affecting highlighting Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:14:52 EDT (-0400)
  Alpha channel affecting highlighting
From: Thomas A  Fine
Date: 18 May 2012 17:59:26
Message: <4fb6c63e$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I've just tried out the +UA option to turn on alpha channel in the output
based on the background.  I'm using a very simple image of an object
that is not transparent, and everything else is background.  The background
part is coming out transparent, however the object's highlighting is much
dimmer with the alpha channel on.

I've tried turning up the specular crazy high, and I just end up with a large
grey spot where a large highlight should be (but it isn't getting alpha channel
stuck in there, i.e.  nothing is showing through where the highlight is).

I can't imagine why this would be happening.  I also looked for known
bugs (I'm using version 3.6 at the moment) but couldn't find anything.
It does seem there's a bug related to highlighting on objects that DO
have some transparency, but as I said, my test object is totally
opaque.

Any help is appreciated.

    tom