POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : RC5 32 bit, not releasing memory on failure to load a large file. : Re: RC5 32 bit, not releasing memory on failure to load a large file. Server Time
17 May 2024 13:49:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RC5 32 bit, not releasing memory on failure to load a large file.
From: Stephen
Date: 24 Apr 2012 14:00:15
Message: <4f96ea2f@news.povray.org>
On 24/04/2012 4:32 PM, Chris Cason wrote:
> On 25/04/2012 01:24, Stephen wrote:
>> Task manager showed the memory usage going up when I tried to open the
>> file then stabilising. When I exited PovRay the memory usage went back
>> down to what it was before.
>
> This isn't unusual for windows programs. When POV-Ray requests memory,
> in some cases the request goes through the Visual C++ run-time
> library, which then requests memory from Windows. If POV-Ray later
> releases that memory, there is no guarantee that the RTL will then
> hand it back to windows; there is a performance penalty to asking the
> OS for memory so it is common for it to be retained in the heap
> managed by the RTL.
>
> This shouldn't be a problem as windows manages virtual memory
> automatically and will page out RAM that the program has allocated but
> isn't actively using (i.e. spare memory in the RTL's heap) if it needs
> memory for something else.
>
> That's not to say that the problem you observed isn't a bug; it could
> very well be that the editor code didn't release the allocated memory
> when it failed to load the file. I'd have to look further.

Thanks Chris.
Just one other symptom. After the file fails to load and Process
Explorer records PovRay having 2.8 Gigs of private memory. I tried to
render another file and got the message:

Possible Parse Error: Insufficient memory to allocate intermediate image
storage.
Fatal error in parser: Out of memory.
Render failed

--