POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Double union{ difference{ problem : Re: Double union{ difference{ problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Double union{ difference{ problem
From: Alain
Date: 20 Apr 2012 18:00:10
Message: <4f91dc6a@news.povray.org>

> Warp<war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:
>> bluestar<nomail@nomail>  wrote:
>>> Hey Warp,
>>> I tried this and got the same effect.
>>
>>>   difference { object {blackbox} }  object{sliceplane}
>>
>>    Now you are creating two separate objects with no connection to each
>> other.
>>
>> --
>>                                                            - Warp
>
> OK,ok I got it.
> This chopped off the box. Wrong side, but I'll fix that.
>
>   difference { object {blackbox}   object{sliceplane} }

Simple, just negate the plane's normal.
plane{y,0} becomes plane{-y,0}
If the plane ton't pass through the origin, like this:
plane{y, 10}, then you need to also negate the distance like this:
plane{-y, -10}

You can also use inverse.

> Also noticed the sphere void was not present, so I'll check syntax on that
> object as well.
>
> Also, I will seperate out all obects and will try the following to see if it
> works.
>
> difference { object {blackbox}   object{spherevoid} object{sliceplane} }

This construction is OK
You start with the base object, then you remove the sphere and the plane.

> or the second half may need to be in brackets
>
> difference { object {blackbox}   {object{spherevoid} object{sliceplane}} }

This one is not, at least, it's not recomended...