POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Fresnel reflection from multi-layers : Re: Fresnel reflection from multi-layers Server Time
28 Sep 2024 07:49:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fresnel reflection from multi-layers
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 10 Apr 2012 14:33:52
Message: <4f847d10$1@news.povray.org>
Crippso wrote:

> I am trying now to get Povray to calculate the reflectance from a stack of two
> materials stuck together with no air gap between them.

as Alain said, the usual recommendation is to just have a tiny gap
to avoid the coincident surface problem. I've wondered earlier about
the artefacts this might introduce, in particular, it should cause
total internal reflection when going from low ior material to air
that would not occur for the low ior to high ior transition.

Also see this thread

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C45cf36f7%40news.povray.org%3E

 From the total internal reflecion point of view you could
try to embed the high ior material inside the low ior material
(with only a very thin layer of low ior material on the side
that is supposedly the high ior to air transition).

But I have no idea if the fresnel reflections will add up
in a meaningful way.