POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Fresnel Reflection : Re: Fresnel Reflection Server Time
28 Sep 2024 07:37:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fresnel Reflection
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 1 Apr 2012 09:53:24
Message: <4f785dd4$1@news.povray.org>
Christian Froeschlin wrote:

> I moved the mirror and light and get a rectangle on the
> disc that is the reflected image of the box.

although I have to confess I don't quite understand the effect.
I found the light was actually from multiple refractions / reflections.
With an opaque pigment I no longer get any light until the angle gets
well below 45 degrees or so.

It reminds me of total internal reflection although it seems to be
the wrong way around. Or is it valid because fresnel reflection occurs
in the transparent glaze and gets trapped by TIR on the way out? In this
case the reason glass in real world gives me reflections at steeper
angles is due to transparency, refraction, and multiple reflections?