POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Fresnel Reflection : Re: Fresnel Reflection Server Time
28 Sep 2024 07:38:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fresnel Reflection
From: clipka
Date: 30 Mar 2012 10:31:46
Message: <4f75c3d2@news.povray.org>
Am 30.03.2012 00:52, schrieb Crippso:
> Hi, I'm still struggling to correctly draw simple scenes using fresnel
> reflection and photons (code below). Any idea why this code doesnt show the box?
> with ior = 5 I expected to see the box being about 0.44 intensity

It seems to me that you have a severe misconception about what POV-Ray's
"photons" feature does.

POV-Ray's "photons" feature is a way to model light rays that first
reflect off a mirror, or get refracted, and then get scattered off a
diffuse surface into the camere.

It does /not/ model light rays that reflect off a mirror directly into
the camera. Those are accounted for by the "specular" or "phong" feature
instead.

(Unfortunately, "specular" and "phong" will not help you either, as they
currently do not model fresnel falloff. You might be able to pull off
some stunt with the "aoi" pattern, to blend between textures with
different "specular" or "phong" parameters, but you'll have to implement
the fresnel formula yourself in that case.)