POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Subsurface Light Transport and mesh2 : Re: Subsurface Light Transport and mesh2 Server Time
21 May 2024 18:57:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Subsurface Light Transport and mesh2
From: clipka
Date: 25 Mar 2012 09:50:46
Message: <4f6f22b6$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.03.2012 10:58, schrieb FlyerX:

> I have been having some issues with the new Subsurface Light Transport.
> If the mesh is made up of several sub-meshes the seams between them are
> darkened.

I've never seen anything like this before with PoseRay output. (I very
much presume you're using PoseRay for generating the POV-Ray mesh2
objects yourself, right?)

> If I merge the mesh outside of POV-Ray into a single mesh with a single
> material for the complete head skin then the dark seams disappear. But I
> cannot merge the mesh outside POV-Ray since that would destroy the
> separate UV mapping that each mesh uses.

Theoretically it should be possible to merge into a mesh2 with multiple
textures without loss.

> Also the edges of the polygons are slightly visible on the forehead.
> That was easily fixed by subdividing the mesh before rendering.

That's a known problem, and difficult to fix without some significant
internal changes to surface normal handling. At present, subdividing is
indeed the only known workaround.