POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Gamma Settings : Re: Gamma Settings Server Time
27 Jun 2024 17:36:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma Settings
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 5 Mar 2012 17:44:17
Message: <4f5541c1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> That's only true if you define colors the old way, using "rgb" rather
> than the new "srgb". With POV-Ray 3.7, it's not a matter of which
> assumed_gamma setting gives you a more intuitive way to specify
> colors, but a matter of choosing between intuitive ("srgb") and
> physical ("rgb") colors.

Actually this now made me wonder if 3.7 should redefine the rgb
keyword to mean "intuitive colors" (srgb) and introduce a new keyword
for "physical colors" (prgb).

Color arithmetic could still be done in linear prgb space (unless the
user actually used vector arithmetic before converting to color).

The change in gamma handling would then come simultaneously with
a change in rgb interpretation that mostly cancels out for existing
scenes that already used assumed_gamma 1.0, reducing all the whining
about "my image is too washed out", and the new gamma handling could
be used without having to adapt all existing textures at once.

Or else (quite possibly) I completely misunderstood everything ;)