POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Gamma Settings : Re: Gamma Settings Server Time
27 Jun 2024 17:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma Settings
From: Warp
Date: 5 Mar 2012 12:44:45
Message: <4f54fb8d@news.povray.org>
> ... choosing more saturated colors (might be difficult for the yellow
> ball, but you can probably do something about the marble floor; a good
> bet might be using "srgb" wherever the material currently uses "rgb";
> you might need to copy the materials from the default .ini files for this);

  The thing about assumed_gamma 1.0 is that while it may produce more
physically correct results in terms of lighting calculations, it's
unintuitive with respect to defining colors. For instance, with that
assumed_gamma something like "color 0.5" will *not* be 50% gray (instead
being something like 73% gray IIRC). The reasons for this are complicated.
(Basically, it's the difference between radiant energy and the brightness
perceived by the human eye.)

  If you want to, for example, specify 50% gray, you have to indeed use
the 'srgb' keyword (in other words, define your color as "srgb 0.5").

  It becomes a bit more problematic when you are not defining the colors
yourself, but are using a pre-defined texture (eg. from an include file).
Now, I don't remember if something was added to POV-Ray 3.7 to "convert"
such a pre-defined texture into 'srgb' on the fly.

  Another problem is that currently there's no way to define linear
gradients that would remain linear regardless of assumed_gamma (in other
words, if you define assumed_gamma 1.0, your gradients will not look
linear). Some work will be done in the future to remedy these shortcomings.

--
                                                          - Warp