POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : RC4 SSLT question : Re: RC4 SSLT question Server Time
21 May 2024 11:02:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RC4 SSLT question
From: Stephen
Date: 28 Feb 2012 06:10:14
Message: <4f4cb616$1@news.povray.org>
On 28/02/2012 12:26 AM, James Holsenback wrote:

> I find the new method much more simpler ...

Simplicity is not always best. Think about how many people complain
about M$ windows and iTunes.

> I started with the scene
> file that was added ~scenes/subsurface/subsurface.pov and played around
> with it changing things and observing the affect. It's a simple scene
> and renders fairly quickly. I then graduated to a little bit more
> complicated object then started playing with that ... move the light,
> and/or change the camera view. Hint cylinders make a better test object
> (the edges) than say rounded (sphere).

A good suggestion. It looks like I will need to run a series of
experiments instead of just being able to convert my existing scenes.

Don't forget to play with the
> scaling (mm_per_unit: smaller value makes it more transparent at the
> edges, larger lessens the affect) ... keep it simple at first until you
> get the hang of it, then graduate to more complicated shapes.

Bah! Kiddy stuff. :-P
It is generally with meshes that I have been using it with.

> BTW: RC5 is on deck because of the bug report you lodged.

That is fine, Chris sent me an evaluation copy to test. :-)

> clipka's fix
> also fixed a couple of other issues I found during testing, so it won't
> be prone to crashes due to improper usage ... a bit more robust.

That is good.

> Don't
> get discouraged, it's a cool feature and well worth the seemingly
> tedious learning curve ... lastly the use of color vectors with a zero
> component is still problematic ... zero diffuse as well IIRC

That is understandable. A totally black surface will not have any

hard to imagine but what do I know? ?_?

> OH yeah ... forgot to mention the to don't forget the interior {ior
> whatever} part ... bundle that with the rest of the texture definition
> as a material

It is easy to notice if you have forgotten it. The render is too fast. :-)

What I really wanted is an understanding of what the translucency values
mean in RL.
To my way of thinking a value of <1, 1, 1> would mean that the material
is completely translucent and all the colour components are allowed to
penetrate unhindered. Why can we use a value > 1?

Yes some experimenting is needed.

--
Regards
     Stephen