POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : RC4 SSLT question : Re: RC4 SSLT question Server Time
21 May 2024 08:51:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RC4 SSLT question
From: James Holsenback
Date: 27 Feb 2012 19:26:16
Message: <4f4c1f28@news.povray.org>
On 02/27/2012 01:13 PM, Stephen wrote:
> With the changes to the SSLT code in RC4 there is now only one
> controlling vector, translucency, instead of two, scattering and
> absorption. What if any is the relationship between translucency,
> scattering and absorption?
> Scattering and absorption made sense to me and the reference pdf gave
> values for some materials. So how do we go about using translucency?

I find the new method much more simpler ... I started with the scene
file that was added ~scenes/subsurface/subsurface.pov and played around
with it changing things and observing the affect. It's a simple scene
and renders fairly quickly. I then graduated to a little bit more
complicated object then started playing with that ... move the light,
and/or change the camera view. Hint cylinders make a better test object
(the edges) than say rounded (sphere). Don't forget to play with the
scaling (mm_per_unit: smaller value makes it more transparent at the
edges, larger lessens the affect) ... keep it simple at first until you
get the hang of it, then graduate to more complicated shapes.

BTW: RC5 is on deck because of the bug report you lodged. clipka's fix
also fixed a couple of other issues I found during testing, so it won't
be prone to crashes due to improper usage ... a bit more robust. Don't
get discouraged, it's a cool feature and well worth the seemingly
tedious learning curve ... lastly the use of color vectors with a zero
component is still problematic ... zero diffuse as well IIRC