POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can't get a good outdoor lighting! : Re: Can't get a good outdoor lighting! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:25:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can't get a good outdoor lighting!
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 7 Feb 2012 02:59:54
Message: <4f30d9fa$1@news.povray.org>
On 6-2-2012 22:14, zlacelle wrote:
> I've been messing around with lighting, fog, etc for a large outdoor scene, but
> I can't seem to make good sunlight!

With a bit of code it would be easier to see what is missing in your scene.

I generally use this:

//start code
#include "CIE.inc"
#declare SunColor   = Blackbody(6500)*3;
#declare SunAlt     = 60;
#declare SunAzm     = -120;
#declare SunPosition  = <0, 0, -1>*10e6;
#declare SunDis     = vlength(SunPosition)*2/215;

#declare sun =
light_source {
   SunPosition
   color SunColor
   rotate x*SunAlt
   rotate y*SunAzm*clock
   parallel
/*
   area_light
   SunDis*x, SunDis*z, // lights spread out across this distance (x * z)
        softens shadows, i dont recomend it
   5, 5                // total number of lights in grid (4x*4z = 16 lights)
   adaptive 1          // 0,1,2,3...
   jitter              // adds random softening of light
   circular            // make the shape of the light circular
   orient              // orient light
*/
}

object {sun}
//end code

note that CIE.inc comes with LightSysIV:
http://www.ignorancia.org/en/index.php?page=Lightsys If you do not want
to use that, just use your own sun color, e.g. rgb <1,1,1>*2
The SunDistance is a little formula given to us by Cousin Ricky.

Thomas