POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : CPU load settings : Re: CPU load settings Server Time
26 Jun 2024 08:24:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CPU load settings
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 5 Feb 2012 11:19:39
Message: <4f2eac1b$1@news.povray.org>
Le 05/02/2012 16:23, Mike nous fit lire :
> Hello,
>
> I have an Intel i7 920.
> It rapidly jumps from 50C to 80C, in full load on Povray 3.7 R3.
> How could I ask Povray to use less processor?

Not a tuning of 3.7;
Under linux, you could switch the governor for all cores from the
default ("ondemand" usually, to "performance" (full rate all time),
"conservative" (more steppy than ondemand) or "powersave" (min rate all
the time). Done with cpufreq-set command line.

Check your OS setting for powermanagement if not Linux.

Side note: 50°C to 80°C for an i7 is not the usual range, you have an
issue in your cooling-fan (my current range for i7 (970 & 980) is 20°C
to 55°C, and that's because my motherboard setting is limiting that for
55°C)