POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : center of rotation : Re: center of rotation Server Time
26 Apr 2024 09:50:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: center of rotation
From: Alain
Date: 21 Jan 2012 17:25:06
Message: <4f1b3b42$1@news.povray.org>

> Dear friends,
> I am a complete newbie trying to use povray to show a rotation. My code is :
>
> This may not be good code, as I am peeking up pieces from various tutorials.
> The problem is the rotation. How I can define the rotation origin? Its behaving
> like being fixed at the top point.

All rotations and scalings are always done relative to the origin, or
absolute location <0,0,0>.
Any rotated object not situated at the origin will orbit around the
origin as it rotates.
Any scaled object not at the origin will move as it is scaled.

The best way of doing your rotations, and scalings, is to create the
object to be rotated with it's point of rotation situated at the origin,
rotate it THEN translate it to it's final location.

Alain