POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : how to render a transparent cube : Re: how to render a transparent cube Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:50:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how to render a transparent cube
From: Alain
Date: 27 Dec 2011 17:58:28
Message: <4efa4d94@news.povray.org>

> I am trying to render jello. What I get is
> http://s18.postimage.org/86nwkrp4p/jello.png
> There are crossing lines on the surface. I really want to get something like
> http://s7.postimage.org/g4a0ahgrf/Untitled.png
>
> I guess there's something wrong in my refraction? Could anyone help me?

Your image looks mostly correct as it is. The lines you see are due to
total internal reflection. They line up perfectly because you use a
simple box object, while your reference have faces caving in.
You can acheive that using a difference starting with a box and removing
bits of the faces with large spheres, with a mesh object or some other ways.

jello is mostly water. A correct ior should be between 1.33 and 1.34.
It's colouration is in the mass, not at the surface. You should use
fade_color Colour fade_distance Lenght fade_power 1 (or 1001).

The sample image seems to be using photons. Please read about it in the
ducumentation. You need a photons{} block in the global_settings and
another for the object itself.

The code for your jello should help find any eventual problem.

Alain