POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Custom camera tricks.. : Re: Custom camera tricks.. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:24:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Custom camera tricks..
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 2 Dec 2011 03:44:19
Message: <4ed88fe3$1@news.povray.org>
Le 02/12/2011 00:06, Patrick Elliott a écrit :

> See, my thinking here is that you:
>
> 1. Create your object.
> 2. Make a "merge" copy of it, so its only got outer surfaces.
> 3. Place that, with "no image" over the same place as the camera.
> 4. Resize, or, if needed, build a slightly bigger version of the same
> thing, as a mirror.
>
> Then you do two passes. First pass produces a displacement map, as per
> the scuplty, which could be converted to a mesh object, fairly
> trivially. Second pass includes textures, and maybe addon bits of
> things, screws, panels, etc., which add finer detail, but don't need to
> be "real", that a pure texture can't, tacked onto the surface of your
> "no image" copy (also no-image). In principle, the result should be both
> a mesh object, once converted from the displacement map, which you can
> adjust a bit, as needed, and a texture, which exactly matches the
> contours of the object you are applying it to.
>
> Am I off my rocker thinking about doing such a thing, or not?

I get lost at the first pass and the displacement map. (which is a known
concept, but is not part of povray's concept, IIRC)

Might I assume that the "object" in 1 is globally convex ?
Would a menger's sponge still qualify ?

As I understand so far, you want to image-map a texture on your object O.
To generate such image-map, I would do something like:

1. spherical Camera inside object O. Object O is hollow, no_image,
textured with a basic pattern and using only ambient light, or so.
2. Put a sphere mirror at the camera, with a radius large enough to
avoid hitting object O. sphere is hollow, no_reflection (save on
rendering time).
3. Render the image P

4. new scene: Object O is textured with image P (map_type 1). place
camera and lights as needed, as well as other environments.

Iteration on step 4 with image P going into gimp/photoshop for details
of texture/pigment.

You could replace the spherical mirror with a vertical cylindrical
mirror if using a cylindrical camera (type 3) and map_type 2 (as long as
you do not have any surface parallel to the horizontal plane in object O)