POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : breaking the law : Re: breaking the law Server Time
16 Apr 2024 04:45:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: breaking the law
From: Alain
Date: 30 Nov 2011 19:29:31
Message: <4ed6ca6b@news.povray.org>

> Am 30.11.2011 21:37, schrieb B. Gimeno:
>
>> Is it possible to somehow change the pov-ray code to circumvent the
>> continuity
>> of space as shown in this video from youtube?
>
> If we're talking about "shortcut" portals between two regions of
> otherwise contiguous space, the feasibility has already been
> demonstrated in MegaPOV with the "camera_view" pigment.
>
> To fully recreate the effect shown in the video, however, one might need
> multiple "worlds" existing independent of each other, except for portal
> connections. While that's surely possible as well, the necessary POV-Ray
> code changes would be more extensive.

It could be done in some cases using no_image and no_reflection. This
require that your main part don't have reflective objects. You may also
need to use light_group.

In the main part, ALL objects are no_reflection.
You have a single mirror object acting as your "portail".
The "world" seen in the portail have no_image for all of it's objects.
It can also be placed to be totaly out of view from the camera. In this
case, you can forget no_image.

Use light_group to acheive different illuminations for each parts.

It can be possible, but tricky, to have more than one such portails. You
must make sure that you orient each mirrors to show distinct areas and
that the content of any area never cast any shadow on those from any
other areas.

The secondary areas can have mirrored objects, just make sure that you
don't see the wrong parts in those reflections.

Alain