POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : About scripting : Re: About scripting Server Time
16 Apr 2024 00:58:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About scripting
From: clipka
Date: 23 Nov 2011 13:45:29
Message: <4ecd3f49@news.povray.org>
Am 23.11.2011 17:43, schrieb jkroby:

> -It would be possible to introduce the namespace in the script?

I guess the next SDL will have such a thing.

> -Would it be possible to have the regular-expression? perl style so to speak.

I don't think so. String processing is not really a must-have core
functionality for a raytracing software, and regex parsing is a pretty
complex matter.

> -As an alternative or parallel to the request of regular-expression can use a
> command-style exec to invoke a script that performs operations on strings so
> advanced. So you can create external scripts that come to the aid of povray
> script.

That might be a more viable alternative; invoking external tools as part
of the scene set-up process, with the ability of using results from
earlier steps of the set-up, would also allow for such things as
sampling a complex CSG or isosurface object via trace() or inside(),
feeding this data to a fast C programm for processing, and finally
generating additional geometry based on the results.