POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : State preservation for catastrophic failure ... (like black-out) : Re: State preservation for catastrophic failure ... (like black-out) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:32:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: State preservation for catastrophic failure ... (like black-out)
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Nov 2011 22:19:29
Message: <4ec5cec1$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/17/2011 12:53, Marvin wrote:
> Still, it will require a great deal of work to revamp smart client grc-client to
> continue rendering where it left off.

It does not naively seem like a lot of work to figure this out. Your jobs
are either not started yet, started on a particular client, or finished and
reported back to the master. The only time recovery of a client or master is
difficult is the middle case, where part of the rendering is finished. In
that case, when the client recovers, you get the data off the disk and start
rendering again with a -C option, or you copy the partially-complete files
to a new machine and fire up povray there with a -C.

What exactly do you think are the problems with failed clients? Do you have
individual frames spread over multiple clients, or individual clients
rendering multiple frames in parallel, or something like that?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)