POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compiling PoV-Ray 3.7 under Linux : Re: Compiling PoV-Ray 3.7 under Linux Server Time
17 May 2024 00:17:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling PoV-Ray 3.7 under Linux
From: clipka
Date: 9 Nov 2011 14:52:31
Message: <4ebad9ff$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.11.2011 02:09, schrieb Jim Henderson:
> On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 01:13:37 +0100, Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann wrote:
>
>> Obviously, it is IMPOSSIBLE for an average DAU (to the non-German
>> speakers: Most Stupid User To Assume!) to build any software under
>> Linux!
>
> No, it's not impossible, but it does require being willing to do your
> homework.
>
> For example, the question you asked about which version of Boost was
> needed was answered in the INSTALL file I linked you to.  Which file,
> IIRC, is included in the source you downloaded.

I recall that when I first started using Linux (in order to run POV-Ray
on a separate machine, without having to pay for another copy of
Windows) there was stuff I just thought I couldn't figure out on my own
as well. While that feeling might have been wrong, it was there, and
comments like "I told you everything you need to know" weren't really
helpful in changing that emotion.

It's like being given a 5000-pieces jigsaw puzzle (without a reference
image) when all you want is a picture to hang on the wall. Getting
comments like "you have all the pieces to assemble the picture - all you
need is a little bit of diligence" from people who seem to have seen the
reference image a thousand times isn't much fun in that situation.