POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Map Mollweide projection (elliptical) onto sphere : Re: Map Mollweide projection (elliptical) onto sphere Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:32:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Map Mollweide projection (elliptical) onto sphere
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 7 Nov 2011 12:17:24
Message: <4eb812a4@news.povray.org>
Adrian wrote:

> Yes, I am not entirely sure that this is the case. My Mathematica implementation
> of the conversion may be faulty (even though I followed mathworld [1]), is there
> a standard way to deal with this? Some UNIX tool or even a built-in feature of
> povray?

There appears to be a unix tool at

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~arcus/mmps/

I think the unprojected latlong format will be the
correct one for map_type 1.

Regarding the WMAP data it seems they already provide it in latlong
format for the "Science on a Sphere" 3d visualization system, so you
might be able to simply use these:

http://lambda.gsfc.nasa.gov/product/map/current/sos/7year/