POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Earth by clearmap.tga : Re: Earth by clearmap.tga Server Time
26 Apr 2024 14:04:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Earth by clearmap.tga
From: clipka
Date: 6 Nov 2011 01:55:02
Message: <4eb62136$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.11.2011 00:03, schrieb Christian Froeschlin:
> Warp wrote:
>
>> You may have trouble using that directly with POV-Ray because according
>> to my calculations it would consume about 3.4 gigabytes of RAM.
>
> If it's 3 channel 8 bit I'd have expected something closer to 700 MB.

Indeed. For input images, POV-Ray has various internal storage formats
at its disposal to keep the memory footprint low, allowing it to choose
either 1, 3 or 4 channel(s) for greyscale, RGB or RGBA respectively, and
either 8 bit integer, 16 bit integer or 32 bit float precision per
channel. In addition there's also a 1 bit per pixel representation
available for black & white bitmaps.