POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Advice for a new user looking for a renderer : Re: Advice for a new user looking for a renderer Server Time
2 Jul 2024 03:02:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Advice for a new user looking for a renderer
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 2 Nov 2011 16:14:22
Message: <4eb1a49e@news.povray.org>
TSGM wrote:

> I want to also raise the point that Christian made about the difficulty (he
> didn't quite say 'difficult') with coloring the meshes.

Actually I just noticed that the mesh2 object supports specifying a
texture index for each face separately. So, the functionality is already
there and it shouldn't be too hard to extend the output of the surf2pov
function with color information.

In order to still retain control over other aspects of the texture
the exported texture list could call a FACE_TEXTURE(COLOR) macro that
needs to be defined by the scene prior to #including the data.

> From what I gather, these were all generated from mesh data and not function
> descriptions. Notice also that the color of the meshes were generated in Matlab
> for some of these (I will have to ask him how he did that!)

As far as I see only two of his images are tagged with povray and those
do not look like precolored meshes.

> Of course, I'm left to wonder whether POV-Ray is -just as good- and can generate
> the same sort of results with a modest degree of effort.

One of the problems may also be that your requirements are still a
bit vague. The Julia reference from your first post is quite a different
beast than a colored mesh plot.