POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Advice for a new user looking for a renderer : Re: Advice for a new user looking for a renderer Server Time
30 Jun 2024 04:20:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Advice for a new user looking for a renderer
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 1 Nov 2011 15:15:55
Message: <4eb0456b$1@news.povray.org>
TSGM wrote:

> I look forward to seeing what some of you can do with that surface and seeing
> what POV-Ray is capable of. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

It should be noted that while povray can make nice renderings of
the geometry, this is not necessarily related to what a typical plot
looks like (that may be intended to convey information about the
structure using contour lines, wireframes and such). Such elements
do not come naturally in the render process and would need to be
constructed as additional geometry.

Regarding the per vertex color information it should be possible
to incorporate it using u-v-mapping but is not straightforward.

Below is a most basic scene that simply renders the cubicfun mesh
geometry in plain white material using fairly high quality lighting
(area light and radiosity) so you can get an impression of that.

Hopefully it already helps to increase the perceived "slickness" ;)

I added some surface roughness to cover the mesh seams, but refrained
from using reflections or shininess as that only serves to highlight the
mesh approximation. Exporting a higher resolution mesh might be useful.

I posted a render at

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C4eb042fd%40news.povray.org%3E/

-----------------------------

#default {finish {ambient 0}}

#include "colors.inc"
#include "rad_def.inc"

#include "meshfiles\cubicfun.inc"

global_settings
{
   assumed_gamma 1.0
   radiosity {Rad_Settings(Radiosity_Final, off, off)}
   //radiosity {Rad_Settings(Radiosity_Normal, off, off)}
}

camera
{
   location  <0.0, 1.20, -2.2>
   look_at   <0.0, 0.95,  0.0>
   angle 90
}

light_source
{
   < -10,  5, -5> color White
   area_light x,y,9,9 circular orient
}

sphere
{
   0, 1000 pigment {color SkyBlue} hollow
}

plane {y, 0 pigment{checker color White color Black}}

object
{
   cubicfun
   pigment {color White}