POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Advice for a new user looking for a renderer : Re: Advice for a new user looking for a renderer Server Time
30 Jun 2024 04:55:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Advice for a new user looking for a renderer
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 1 Nov 2011 07:41:32
Message: <4eafdaec@news.povray.org>
TSGM wrote:

> Although I can't anticipate all my needs, I can say that at least initially, my
> main goal is to simply illustrate three-dimensional surfaces which are generated
> in matrix form (meaning x,y,z coordinates provided). I'm sure my needs will
> evolve, but let's leave it at that.

One option would be to check whether you have really reached
the limits of what can be achieved within software geared towards
plots and mathematical visualizations. Such an environment is
probably the most convenient to use if you want to focus on
the math and not the 3d rendering aspects.

For example, there appears to be a volume rendering function
for Matlab available at

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/4927-vol3d-m-vol3dtool-m

As general purpose renderers go, POV-Ray is probably a good choice
as its progamming-based approach will be more comfortable for someone
with a technical / math background (as opposed to a 3d artist). Also,
if you frequently render similar type of graphics but with different
functions, this will allow you to create a reusable scene that can
then simply read or include update data files or functions.

> I've given POV-Ray a try, though I'm a bit unhappy by the results

If you post a sample of your data / function and how you want to
render it, I'm sure people here will help you get started with a
basic scene that is suitable for your purposes.

Note that if you generate your data from a function, you should
provide both as it may in some cases be preferrable to render the
function itself within povray.