POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray and AVX? : Re: Povray and AVX? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:23:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray and AVX?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 16 Oct 2011 12:19:34
Message: <4e9b0416$1@news.povray.org>
On 15.10.11 17:38, jhu wrote:
> Now that Intel and AMD processors have AVX instruction functionality (Sandy
> Bridge, Bulldozer), how well can Povray use these new instructions? I don't have
> any of these processors, so I'm unable to test it myself.

That is a good question. You will need to check with your compiler-vendor
and the ability of their compiler to auto-vectorise code for AVX. You will
also need to check with your operating system vendor if the operating system
supports AVX.

As for POV-Ray itself, it (currently) contains no processor specific code,
so any SIMD optimisations depend on the compiler used to compile POV-Ray.

	Thorsten