POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Floor configuration : Re: Floor configuration Server Time
30 Jun 2024 03:35:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Floor configuration
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 4 Oct 2011 08:33:22
Message: <4e8afd12@news.povray.org>
Le 04/10/2011 08:50, Stan a écrit :
> Hallo. I begin to render lego with pov-ray. I am use Pov-Ray 3.7 because it use
> multi core computer. And I use HDR lightning.
> But I have problem. When I use HDR lighning a can't config it. I want floor
> like this one: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=4739403.
> Can somebody help me how to do it?

I do not know HDR lightning (excepted you need a picture for the
"skysphere"... sort of).

The image provided as example is probably using some area light (the
shadow at the extrem right are marked with typical degrees. At least a 3
steps area light was used).
Correlated with the shadow on the extrem left, it seems the area light
was a 3x3.

It was above and a bit in front of the construct. Mainly above, just a
bit in front. the up/front ratio probably being between 5 and 10 (so,
could be <0,100,-10> (if center of picture is <0,0,0>, y is up, and z is
deeper)  and the actual height / size of area light ratio not too high
either (maybe around 20: for a position at <0,100,-10>, the area light
might be 5 unit large or more

The floor is basically a partially reflective plane, with a bit of
diffuse and maybe some ambient. Rules of realism: the 3 terms adds to 1.
(finish { reflection a diffuse b ambient c } , with a+b+c =1.0)

Ambient is low (0.1 ?), reflection high (0.7 ?), diffuse get the remains.

analysis of the shadow on the extrem left on the construct itself seems
to indicate that the center of the area light might indeed be after the
very start of the construct (by a small bit)

There might/should be some filling lights (with far less strength)
around the construct (front/sides), to get some details more visible.
there seems to have one such light on the left-side of the construct, as
can be inferred by the weak shadow projected by the exhaust-pipe on the
rear-tank (right side of the picture).
Another in front is possible (if the rear-tank is also showing the weak
shadow of the crank on its front-side)

Yet, no HDR needed.