POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to model "connecting dirt"? : Re: How to model "connecting dirt"? Server Time
30 Jun 2024 04:46:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to model "connecting dirt"?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 1 Oct 2011 10:26:04
Message: <4e8722fc$1@news.povray.org>
On 1-10-2011 10:43, Tommy377 wrote:
> Hi, thanks for replying. I just would like to check if I do understand what
> you're talking about:
> It's about an algorithm that "sweeps" the heightfield into the shape of an
> object placed over it, by making its slope staller and staller the more close
> the heightfield gets to that object, right?

No. the technique makes use of a paint program, taking an orthographic
overhead image of the scene as basis, and painting the dirt in shades of
grey on a separate layer, then applying that layer image as a
height_field in the original scene, superposed if necessary over a
pre-existing height_field or other surface.

It is a business that needs close attention but far from impossible and,
using a paint program in conjunction with a height_field generator, it
can even make more interesting features.

Thomas