POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to model "connecting dirt"? : Re: How to model "connecting dirt"? Server Time
30 Jun 2024 04:06:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to model "connecting dirt"?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 30 Sep 2011 07:44:08
Message: <4e85ab88$1@news.povray.org>
On 30-9-2011 11:17, Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:

> After zooming in on the picture, I guess the whole ground is just one
> heightfield, including the step and the interior ground, which were
> textured differently by using a gradient y pattern, as you said.
>
> Anyhow, what Tommy wanted could be achieved in a similar way, by
> painting/rendering a heightfield which takes into account the objects
> that will be placed over it. Not easy nor simple, but feasible...

Height_field of course! You are right; I forgot that. It explains the
crude, but effective (here), transition between the step and the dirt.

Your technique would work very well I guess, with an intermediate
orthographic overhead render for localising the exact position of the
objects needing dirt accumulation, then painting the dirt height_field
image from that. Interesting idea: something I should try... Thanks Jaime!

Thomas