POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to model "connecting dirt"? : Re: How to model "connecting dirt"? Server Time
30 Jun 2024 04:47:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to model "connecting dirt"?
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 30 Sep 2011 05:17:43
Message: <4e858937$1@news.povray.org>
On 30/09/11 09:09, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 30-9-2011 7:19, Tommy377 wrote:
>> Hi. I want to make a certain kind of transition between an object
>> and the ground.
>>
>> To see what I mean, look at the picture "Virtual Joy of Life" in
>> the POV-Ray Hall of Fame. There, at the ground, the transition from
>> the stairstep to the rest of the ground. That's what I mean. It's a
>> smooth, but crunchy transition somehow.
>>
> I am not sure how Tom Aust did the *physical* transition...

   After zooming in on the picture, I guess the whole ground is just one
heightfield, including the step and the interior ground, which were
textured differently by using a gradient y pattern, as you said.

   Anyhow, what Tommy wanted could be achieved in a similar way, by
painting/rendering a heightfield which takes into account the objects
that will be placed over it. Not easy nor simple, but feasible...

   Regards,

--
Jaime